Friday, September 26, 2008

Chief Tshwane



Chief Tshwane stands in front of the Pretoria city hall as the controversy of the city's name rages on. "Pretoria" is still the official name of the city according to the South African geograhical names committee. The city council prefers the name Tshwane.

According to history it is claimed that the african people, led by Chief Tshwane, were the first inhabitants where the modern day city now stands. This means that they were here before the great trek which commenced in 1838 leading to the the first european settlers arriving at the area of Pretoria. I have not come across any historical encounters that the Europeans had with the local indeginous inhabitants, but it should make some interesting reading.

2 comments:

Jules said...

How wonderful!!! My family and I spent a wonderful time in Sth Africa a number of years ago. it was truly magical and a trip in the top 10 of all the trips we have ever done!!! So glad i can revisit that time thru your blog.

Unknown said...

Nice photo of Chief Tshwane, I was at Pretoria on heritage day and I enjoyed the day with my family.