Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Eureka


Obviously this fellow has decided to resist change. It is usually quite amazing to see an original, old building sandwiched amongst the new modern and tall buildings. Personally I find old buildings fascinating Particularly when an owner has said "I do not want to sell" and sustained their trade. I am not sure what trade the owners of this building are indulging in. But the wording on the right side of the building suggests that the are manufacturing cigarettes. How big is their market? Well that can be anybody's guess. I don't think they can compete against Phillip Morris by being this small.

And.. with the South African government prohibiting any form of advertising of tobacco products, their market influence must be extremely limited. So, I can only surmise that they must be merchandising something else. unfortunately they were closed when this shot was taken. Next time I am in town, I will pay them a visit and investigate.

On the subject of old buildings. I visited Europe recently and one of the highlights was seeing all the old buildings in Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels and many other cities dating back to the 1600's and older. Modern cities tend to tear down old building to make way for big concrete structures. Well.. I suppose there is a price to pay for progress.

2 comments:

Harry Makertia said...

Very intersting story about the old small Eureka building. How old is this building?

Les said...

Hi Harry, I am not sure how old it is, but judging from it's location in the city, it must have been built between 1890 and 1910. The architecture suggests it may have been closer to 1910. My wife informs me that it once housed the Pierneef museum. Jacob Pierneef was a famous South African artist renowned for his intriguing and fascinating landscape scenes. Today his works are extremely valuable and command very high prices in the art fraternity.